You know that look. The “I want treats” look. The nose starts twitching, and the pouty eyes begin begging. It’s hard to say no to your fur baby, isn’t it? It’s natural to want to spoil them with yummy treats, but in the long run, it’s not ideal for their health. But luckily there are healthy treats out there that you can give them on a daily basis in minimal amounts to satisfy them between meals or to reward them for being good.
While you might think to run to the local pet store to buy treats, you can actually feed your dog single ingredients of what is normally considered human food to calm their appetite. According to Modern Dog these 12 single ingredients can be used as treats:
- Steamed Cabbage – just a little at a time as to not upset their stomach.
- Frozen Sardines – a whole sardine can be fed at one time.
- Brown Rice – ideal for dogs with upset stomachs
- Fresh or Frozen Sliced Bell Peppers
- Cooked or Canned Pumpkin
- Sliced Apples
- Cooked Quinoa – also ideal for dogs with upset stomachs
- Raw or Cooked Carrots
- Raw Cauliflower or Broccoli – small portions so as not to cause gas
- Cheese – small amounts of hard cheese – soft cheeses can cause stomach aches
- Dried Apricots – small amounts
Another healthy alternative is jerky. Jerky is somewhat on the soft side so you don’t have to worry about it breaking your dog’s teeth like many traditional pet treats have been known to do. Try these all-natural preservative-free jerky treats available on Amazon:
Other alternative and natural treats you can buy on Amazon:
Remember, your pup might be just asking for attention when begging for a treat. You can always take them on a walk or partake in a session of playtime to distract them from food in between meals. Although healthy treats are fine for dogs, it’s probably best not to give in to their begging. Instead, reward them after a walk or other activity.