This unique green fruit is so popular it deserves its own national holiday! To make the most of avocados this year, let’s dive into how to find the best, most ripe and yummy avocado available.
How to Pick a Ripe Avocado – Gently squeeze the avocado to see if it’s ripe or not. It should still be firm, yet slightly soft. Avoid avocados that are overly soft or have blemishes on the skin, usually a sign that it’s already started to rot. Some avocados turn darker as they ripen, but some stay the same color as well. It just depends on the variety.
How to Ripen a Avocado – Ripening avocados is super easy. The best way to ripen them is to put them in a paper bag and stored at room temperature. Check after a couple of days to see if it’s ripe, if not leave them in the bag for some more time. Don’t forget about them though! This technique definitely speeds up the process and you won’t want to miss the window to enjoy your ripe avocados! Also, once they’re ripe you can put them in the fridge for a day or two if you’re not ready to eat them right away.
Avocado Types – There are lots of different types of avocados, but let’s take a look at some of the most popular California avocados:
- Bacon – medium size and with smooth, green skin.
- Fuerte – considered the original high quality California avocado
- Gwen – similar and slightly larger than the well known Hass.
- Hass – the leading variety of avocado in California, known for turning a dark purple/black color from green when ripe.
- Reed – a super round shaped avocado
- Zutano – an oval shaped avocado known for its shiny green skin.
To learn more about avocados plus how to grow your own avocado tree check out https://www.californiaavocado.com.