Today’s featured city is Houston, Texas! There is so much to do in this city – it is truly incredible. Houston’s Museum District is amazing and houses 19 museums! All attractions and museums highlighted are within convenient driving distance of a handful of Fairfield communities – Woodway Square Apartments, Woodtrail Apartments, Brisa at Shadowlake Apartments, and Lakeland Estates Apartment Homes.
- Houston Museum of Natural Science has some really engaging exhibits. Some of their permanent displays include Ancient Egypt, dinosaurs, African wildlife, precious gems and minerals, and Texas wildlife. They also have special, temporary exhibits that come and go. Check out their current special exhibits and their upcoming exhibits on their website. They also have a beautiful butterfly garden and planetarium!
- The Downtown Aquarium has plenty of fun for everyone! Their exhibits range from a Stingray touching tank and the Gulf of Mexico exhibit, to swamp-lands and a rainforest exhibit – there’s just so much to see! A really spectacular feature about the Downtown Aquarium is their restaurant and bar. You can wine and dine right next to their 150,000 gallon tank filled with various marine life – it doesn’t get much better than that!
- From birds, to reptiles, to elephants, and MUCH more, the Houston Zoo will not disappoint. Feed the Giraffes, walk with Dingos, get a smooch from a Sea Lion, and attend any of the multiple “Keeper Talks” at various exhibits throughout the day. There is an endless amount of fun to be had at the zoo! From February through May, they have “Free Tuesday” on the first Tuesday of the month; check out their website for details and updates!
- A fan of the fine arts? Check out the Bayou Bend Collection and Garden at the Museum of Fine Arts (MFA)! This house museum that is a part of the MFA is located on a beautiful 14 acres of landscaped gardens – a true oasis. The MFA also houses some other really fabulous exhibits for fine art enthusiasts. Their exhibits come and go, so make sure you stay updated via their website!
- Calling all nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts! The Houston Arboretum and Nature Center is a must-visit! Experience animals, such as swamp rabbits, armadillos, and various lizards, in their natural habitat while walking the miles of trails through and around the arboretum. The Houston Arboretum and Nature Center also hosts many events and programs for adults, children, and families. One of their most awesome programs is their “Arboretum at Night” experience. You can have up-close encounters with nocturnal animals while enjoying a snack and a glass of wine – how great!
- The Art Car Museum is a really interesting place to visit! It’s perfect for those of you who like cars and unique art. The cars on display here are painted, modified, and are truly one-of-a-kind!
- A visit to the Space Center is a definite must! While it’s quite a ways out of downtown Houston, it’s worth the trip. You can learn all about NASA, space, astronauts, the International Space Station, and NASA’s space programs. You can even meet and have lunch with an astronaut – how awesome! They also offer tram tours around the grounds of the NASA Johnson Space Center.